What is XperiBIRD.be?
From XperiLAB.be to XperiBIRD.be
Who is XperiBIRD.be for?
Find out more
Visitors to our nest boxes
Why study a common species?
Ringing – why and how is it carried out?
- Some broods in the XperiBIRD.be nesting boxes have received a visit from a ringer. But what’s the aim of this procedure and how is it carried out? The ringing of wild (...)
A clean nest
- The fledglings are growing and their parents have to tend to their every need. To do so they have to feed them, keep them away from predators but also keep the nest clean of droppi(...)
‘At the dinner table’
- The young birds are fed only with caterpillars, albeit lots of caterpillars! Great tits catch around ten thousand of them to feed the nest until the brood starts to fly. The par(...)
From egg to flight ?
- The fact that not all the eggs laid in the nest boxes turn into adult birds is part of nature! The mortality rate in the first stages of life amongst tits is quite high as you w(...)
- Brussels has had its own ‘XperiBIRD.be’ for 10 years, but for peregrine falcons. If you’re interested in these magnificent birds of prey, visit the http://www.fauconspourt(...)
A hard shell
- Climbing out of an egg? It’s not that easy when you are a little chick. Fortunately, they have a small horn-like protuberance, known as an egg tooth, to pierce the shell. The (...)
(Easter) eggs !
- Tits have lots of work to do during the spring holidays. Many schools have noticed the appearance of eggs in their nest boxes, a nice surprise for the pupils on their return. Schoo(...)
- Winter has arrived and this week you can really feel it. Our feathered friends need water in these freezing temperatures. Take a small heated container, fill it with tepid water(...)
Let's go !
- This is our first foto of the year 2018! This great tit spent the night in the XperiBIRD.be nest box of Provinciaal Natuurcentrum Limburg in Genk! Is your nest box proprely instal(...)
Happy New Year !
- The XperiBIRD.be team wish you all an happy new year ! We wish that 2018 will be filled with wonder and discoveries ! (...)
Kits have been sent by post !
- Last week, nearly 70 kits have been prepared and sent by post to schools across Belgium. It is CITECO, a social entreprise who did the handling. What does the kit con(...)
First edition : watch the video !
- The first edition of XperiBIRD.be is now over. Relive the experience – from egg to flight – thanks to this video. Your school is not yet equipped with its observation ki(...)
The project takes off!
- The new version of the website is now up and running as of today, and with it comes the ‘User’ section where this year’s participating schools can log in to their account to (...)
All of the nest boxes (or almost all) have been distributed!
- Ce samedi 11 février, plus de 40 professeurs d’écoles participant au projet XperiBIRD.be sont venus au muséum des sciences naturelles récupérer leur kit et recevoir de plus (...)
The new nest boxes were assembled by CITECO
- CITECO is a Brussels-based social enterprise that employs thirty people with disabilities. The new XperiBird.be nest boxes were assembled in CITECO’s workshops this winter: more (...)