What is XperiBIRD.be?
From XperiLAB.be to XperiBIRD.be
Who is XperiBIRD.be for?
Find out more
Visitors to our nest boxes
Why study a common species?
XperiBIRD.be Day #4 : 23/11/19
- Nous avons le plaisir d'inviter tous les porteurs de projet à participer à la prochaine journée XperiBIRD.be qui aura lieu le samedi 23 novembre 2019 à l’Institut royal des s(...)
Back to school !
- Prêts à vous remettre dans le bain ?! Toute l'équipe XperiBIRD.be et XperiLAB.be souhaite une belle rentrée à tous nos petits naturalistes en herbe qui font vivre(...)
News of a young bird ringed!
- Last January, we learned that a young great tit, banded in an XperiBIRD.be nesting box on 9th May 2018, had been inspected by a bander on 1st November, i.e. 5 months and 23 days la(...)
Visitor or Nester?
- There is much happening in the nesting boxes of XperiBIRD.be! In your classes, have you started to record your first observations on the web site? We are counting on your cooper(...)
The first scientific report is available
- The XperiBIRD.be 2017-2018 scientific report is available! XperiBIRD.be has celebrated its 3rd spring! Since 2017, schools throughout Belgium have been scrupulously monitorin(...)
Start of nest building!
- In many nesting boxes, the tits are currently very busy building a nice cosy little nest! Have you noticed an accumulation of material to the back of the nesting box? (...)
An unexpected visitor!
- The visits of birds to the XperiBIRD.be nesting boxes are going well! With the especially mild temperatures of recent days, the first proof of nest building should soon appear. At (...)
A successful day for XperiBIRD.be participants!
- There were approximately one hundred of you on Saturday 13th October at the participants’ day held at the natural science museum. Thank you to everybody for your enthusiasm! T(...)
Leaving the nest for other horizons!
- The laying season is gently nearing its close in the XperiBIRD.be nesting boxes. Some of you have even already observed the young birds taking flight! The observation has been the (...)
- In certain nesting boxes, the fledglings are almost ready to take flight or have even already done so! What should you do when the fledglings have left the nest? Leave th(...)
Ringing – why and how is it carried out?
- Some broods in the XperiBIRD.be nesting boxes have received a visit from a ringer. But what’s the aim of this procedure and how is it carried out? The ringing of wild bird(...)
A clean nest
- The fledglings are growing and their parents have to tend to their every need. To do so they have to feed them, keep them away from predators but also keep the nest clean of droppi(...)
‘At the dinner table’
- The young birds are fed only with caterpillars, albeit lots of caterpillars! Great tits catch around ten thousand of them to feed the nest until the brood starts to fly. The par(...)
From egg to flight ?
- The fact that not all the eggs laid in the nest boxes turn into adult birds is part of nature! The mortality rate in the first stages of life amongst tits is quite high as you w(...)
Falcons for everyone in Brussels
- Brussels has had its own ‘XperiBIRD.be’ for 10 years, but for peregrine falcons. If you’re interested in these magnificent birds of prey, visit the http://www.fauconspourt(...)
A hard shell
- Climbing out of an egg? It’s not that easy when you are a little chick. Fortunately, they have a small horn-like protuberance, known as an egg tooth, to pierce the shell. The (...)
(Easter) eggs !
- Tits have lots of work to do during the spring holidays. Many schools have noticed the appearance of eggs in their nest boxes, a nice surprise for the pupils on their return. Schoo(...)
- Winter has arrived and this week you can really feel it. Our feathered friends need water in these freezing temperatures. Take a small heated container, fill it with tepid water(...)
Let's go !
- This is our first foto of the year 2018! This great tit spent the night in the XperiBIRD.be nest box of Provinciaal Natuurcentrum Limburg in Genk! Is your nest box proprely instal(...)
Happy New Year !
- The XperiBIRD.be team wish you all an happy new year ! We wish that 2018 will be filled with wonder and discoveries ! (...)
Kits have been sent by post !
- Last week, nearly 70 kits have been prepared and sent by post to schools across Belgium. It is CITECO, a social entreprise who did the handling. What does the kit con(...)
XperiBIRD.be and the Sciences Bus in Brussels !
- During the first week of November, several workshops on the theme of city birds were organized by the XperiBIRD.be team and presented to Brussels schools as part of the Do It Toget(...)
First edition : watch the video !
- The first edition of XperiBIRD.be is now over. Relive the experience – from egg to flight – thanks to this video. Your school is not yet equipped with its observation ki(...)
L'envol est imminent !
- In some nest boxes, the flight of the young birds is close by ! Or, even, it has already occurred! After a fortnight spent in the nest box under the good care of their parents, (...)
The project takes off!
- The new version of the website is now up and running as of today, and with it comes the ‘User’ section where this year’s participating schools can log in to their account to (...)
All of the nest boxes (or almost all) have been distributed!
- Ce samedi 11 février, plus de 40 professeurs d’écoles participant au projet XperiBIRD.be sont venus au muséum des sciences naturelles récupérer leur kit et recevoir de plus (...)
The new nest boxes were assembled by CITECO
- CITECO is a Brussels-based social enterprise that employs thirty people with disabilities. The new XperiBird.be nest boxes were assembled in CITECO’s workshops this winter: more (...)